Home > Great Britain > Violence on the rise in DR Congo: BBC NEWS.

Violence on the rise in DR Congo: BBC NEWS.


The news from the Congo doesn’t get any better; the carnage, the suffering continues. The BBC News headline I find bizarre “violence on the rise in DR Congo” well BBC when was it never on the rise???

War, war, war is the Congo’s fate, abandoned by the UN; abandoned by the African Union; abandoned by France; looted by African gangster militias of one kind or another; looted by soldiers of the Congo Army; looted by corporations; the Congo is merely a playground for the scoundrels of Africa.

The cost is the constant suffering of the Congolese.

For God’s sake when will the people of the Congo enjoy peace and security?

BBC NEWS: “Civilians in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo have subjected to escalating reprisals at the hands of armed groups, aid agencies say.

The atrocities, which include rape and arson, come amid continuing fighting between the army and Hutu militiamen.

In the Lubero territory in North Kivu 250 homes were been burned down in the last week, Oxfam said.

In Luofo, a nearby village, Hutu rebels are said to be conducting a house-to-house terror campaign.

Local authorities say rebels operating in the village, which is 170km (274 miles) from the regional capital, Goma, have been telling those they visit “you will all die”, according to the UN refugee agency, UNHCR.

‘Not enough peacekeepers’…”

For more see the link below;

via BBC NEWS | Africa | Violence on the rise in DR Congo.

Advertisements
  1. April 26, 2009 at 05:53

    MJPC questions ICC waiting to issue an arrest warrant against Nkunda.

    (live-PR.com) – Kinshasaa, D.R. Congo, April 25, 2009 — The Mobilization for Justice and Peace in the D.R. Congo (MJPC) today called on the International Criminal Court (ICC) to issue an arrest warrant against laurent Nkunda accused of multiple war crimes and crimes against humanity which are well documented by various human right organzations including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch. Laurent
    Nkunda, former leader of the National Congress for the Defence of the People (CNDP) armed group, was arrested on 22 January and is detained at an undisclosed location in Rwanda.

    How long would it take for the chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC), Luis Moreno-Ocampo to decide whether or not to issue an arrest warrant against Nkunda? echoed Makuba Sekombo, Director of Community Affairs of MJPC. The ICC Prosecutor has been investigating war crimes and crimes against humanity committed in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) since since 2004, but the ICC reportdely opened an investigation into alleged war crimes committed in the DRC since 1 July 2002.

    Nkunda has been repeatedly implicated in numerous serious war crimes and crimes against humanity since 2002. In September 2005, the Congolese government issued an arrest warrant for Nkunda, accusing him of numerous war crimes and crimes against human rights. Human Rights Watch, for example, which has been calling for his arrest for war crimes and crimes against humanity since February 2006 and has documented summary executions, torture and rape committed by soldiers under the command of Nkunda in Bukavu in 2004 and in Kisangani in 2002. Also armed groups loyal to warlord Nkunda have been repeatedly accused of using rape as a weapon of war and the recruitment of child soldiers, some as young as 12 after the abduction from their homes. In November 2008, the UN mission in the country (MONUC), Humn Rights Watch many other organizations accused Nkunda of war crimes in November 2008; an estimated 150 people were killed innoncently in the town of Kiwanja by the troups loyal to Nkunda.

    The MJPC deplores the refusal by the Government of Rwanda to hand over Nkunda for trial. “How shocking that Rwanda which has been receiving assistance from the International community to arrest genocide suspects and hand them over to the ICTR or to Rwanda would not allow for the extradition of a war criminal accused of massacring civilians, sexual violence, abduction of civilians, including children forcibly recruited as fighters and then used to attack civilian communities” said Mr. Sekombo.

    “While Nkunda is not the only one who committed war crimes and crimes against humanity, the ICC arrest warrant would mark a major step in promoting accountability for war crimes and crimes against humanity committed in DRC, added Sekombo. As part of its campaign to combat impunity in DRC, MJPC launched an online petition in November 2008 whic can be signed at http://www.gopetition.com/online/23604.html calling for immediate arrest of Nkunda. So far more than 1365 people from over 50 countries have signed the petition.

    Press Contact:
    Makuba Sekombo
    The online petit MJPC
    Kinshasaa, D.R. Congo
    1 408 806 3644
    info@mjpcongo.org
    http://www.mjpcongo.org

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: